Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pilgrim Block

I finally got one of the pilgrim blocks ready to sew. This morning I picked out some fabrics and started and finished 5 sections ....

I am really liking her.  I hope to get the center done later today...that's the section with the turkey on the platter...lots of little pieces. 

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Thanksgiving Paper-Pieced Pilgrims



One morning last week before I left for work (I do most of my Internet shopping before 6:00 a.m. ), I was checking out a quilting site, and I saw this Thanksgiving paper-pieced pattern:

I thought they were both adorable! I immediately pulled out my credit card and ordered them.  The price was $7 for both...quite reasonable.  It's a pdf file that is emailed to you as soon as you order it.  I liked that I would get it immediately, even though I had to use my own ink and print it out myself. 

What I did not like is that after printing it out, I realized that  it does not come with the units cut apart and a 1/4-inch seam allowance added: 

So I had to make multiple copies so I could  cut them all apart and still see the seam lines:
then I had to glue each piece to another sheet of paper:

then add the 1/4" seam allowance to every piece:
Now I will have to find a copy machine to make even more copies, cut them apart and FINALLY I will be able to select fabrics and start sewing!!  Am I the only person who thinks this is ridiculous?  If the pattern is free, I understand.  If I pay for the pattern, I expect that this would all be done for me!!

The pieces you see above are only for the woman.  I still have to do the same for the man.  I hope the finished product is worth all the extra cost (paper, ink, copies) and  work! 

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Denim Wreath Redo

I felt creative on this cold weekend and decided to add some spring colors to my denim rag wreath.  I had a pastel-striped fabric that I tore into approx. 6-inch long strips and randomly tied them along the wreath. This is how it turned out:
I like it...very springy looking.  I will take it back down to the basement until I need it for spring decorating.  Here is the before/after:

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Denim Wreath

OK, this is not quilting, but it is at least crafty.  I also lost a good deal of  finger skin on this project,

 so I am really feeling the need to show off my new denim rag wreath.

It all began when I was in the basement and saw an old metal wreath form that I have had for years.  My many mornings of Pinterest surfing caused a sudden urge to make a denim rag wreath. 

We quilters have a ginormous stash of fabric, so it only took a few extra steps in the basement for me to get an arm load of old denim jean fabric to begin the project.  My eye spotted an old flannel bed sheet that I no longer use. Since all denim would be too dull for me, I grabbed the coordinating sheet .  I cut everything into 7 to 9-inch strips (I found 9-inch to work best) and


began to tie them to the wire wreath frame.


I tied and I tied and I tied and I tied....I was not too impressed at this stage:

This is not a quick project.

 You can expect to tie for at least three hours.  After about two hours, I realized my finger skin was gone, so I stopped.  I tried to use Bandaids to continue

but it still hurt, so I put everything in a basket and waited a week.  During that time, I decided all blue was  slightly too dull for me.
So I found some yellow fabric and added it in. Then I tied for another hour or so to complete the wreath. 

I am very happy with the wreath.  I may even do another one when my fingers heal. :)

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Holiday Chair Toppers


 Earlier in the week I finished all six of the witch blocks.  I am quite pleased with these. I still need to add some borders to the witch flying on the broom.  I will add a different border, but in the same fabrics as they will be used together during the Halloween season.  At the moment I am planning on using them as chair backs, much like these Easter chair backs I added to my dining room today.




Sunday, March 3, 2013

Witch Block Borders


Last weekend I made a bunch of blocks just because I was itchin' to be stitchin'.


Saturday morning I decided to design some type of border to put around the six witch blocks above.

I am trying not to buy new fabric, so I raided my stash and found these green and purple pieces that I thought would work.

After a day or so of contemplation I came up with this 3" x 7" block to add to all four sides of the witch:
Here is the completed witch block:

Now I just need to make 20 more of these frame blocks and all six witches will be framed.

Saturday morning I also added a polka dot fabric binding to this little tabletop quilt:
 I am happy to have this one completed!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine Paper Pieced Block

Last weekend I was in the mood to sew. I pulled out a Paper Panache free mystery block from last year (#64).

I chose these fabrics:

A few minutes later, I had the beginning of a heart flower Valentine block:

After about two hours I ended up with this delightful addition to  my  Valentine quilt blocks:
A potted heart flower! I liked it so much I made a second block on Sunday, which is slightly different:
 
DH and I don't do Valentine gifts any more, so this is my gift to myself.  I like it so much better than chocolates!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...