Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Scrappy String Blocks

For the past few weeks, I have been trying to find a pattern to use up my scraps. I tried this diamond pattern:
It takes four blocks together to get the diamond:

I am not totally thrilled with this one.  The diamonds are too big and  I really want a white background. Also the majority of the scraps I have are a bit too narrow for this size block.  I may continue later to make enough of these to use for a border; right now I am just not feelin' the scrappy luv for this one.

I recently visited  Outside the Lines blog and saw a string quilt quilt she is working on in this post.  I liked the center star and decided to find a pattern to try it out.  I found a few patterns on the net, but ended up using a smaller one (4.5 inches finished) from my own book collection so I could use some of my 1.5-inch string scraps.

Again it takes four of these to make a finished 9-inch block:
I do like the white background. 

 I toned down the "scrappiness" by making each of the three stars around the center in the same fabric.  I am making each 9-inch star block in different fabrics.  All the blocks will have the same white background with a black fabric for the outer star and black for the four corners:
So far I have made three sets.  It takes about 30 minutes to sew one set if you have all the pieces already cut.
 I am liking this pattern.  The aqua and purple block is a bit off. I changed it to black and white and you can see why.  I need more contrast between the aqua and purple.

It's not enough to make me toss the block, but I will pay more attention to the next set of colors.

All in all, I am having fun sewing these. So I will continue on until I get bored and then I will figure out exactly what to do with them.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Jewel Tone Metallic Autumn Table Runner

Last fall I purchased some metallic fat quarters at a local bazaar.
This week I finally started a project using them.
I must say that I do not like working with metallics!  I melted one of the blocks because my iron was too hot. 

Nonetheless, I persevered and finally decided on this simple block :
 I used this color combination for eight 7.5-inch blocks and  made a variation of the color and stripe pattern for 4 additional blocks.  When I had 12 completed, I decided that was all I wanted to make, so I played with arrangements to see what I could do with them. I tried this layout.
 I did not like it. So went with this, which was my original plan.
 I sewed them all together, added some red triangles on each end, then sandwiched and machine quilted it. I ended up with a table runner that measures 56 inches long and 14 inches wide. 
 This size is good for my large dining room  table.
Now I can't wait for fall so I can see how it works with a fully-set jewel-tone table.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Pink and Black Table Runner

I had the urge to design another table runner to go with some dishes. This time I decided to use these pink and black plates.
I chain paper pieced a twelve 6-inch blocks.

and sewed three sets of four into 12-inch blocks.
I added two black fabric triangle ends and now I have this:
This runner went together very quickly. Now I can't wait to try it on a full table setting of pink, black and white. Of course, I will sandwich and machine quilt it first. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...