Search This Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Denim Wreath

OK, this is not quilting, but it is at least crafty.  I also lost a good deal of  finger skin on this project,

 so I am really feeling the need to show off my new denim rag wreath.

It all began when I was in the basement and saw an old metal wreath form that I have had for years.  My many mornings of Pinterest surfing caused a sudden urge to make a denim rag wreath. 

We quilters have a ginormous stash of fabric, so it only took a few extra steps in the basement for me to get an arm load of old denim jean fabric to begin the project.  My eye spotted an old flannel bed sheet that I no longer use. Since all denim would be too dull for me, I grabbed the coordinating sheet .  I cut everything into 7 to 9-inch strips (I found 9-inch to work best) and


began to tie them to the wire wreath frame.


I tied and I tied and I tied and I tied....I was not too impressed at this stage:

This is not a quick project.

 You can expect to tie for at least three hours.  After about two hours, I realized my finger skin was gone, so I stopped.  I tried to use Bandaids to continue

but it still hurt, so I put everything in a basket and waited a week.  During that time, I decided all blue was  slightly too dull for me.
So I found some yellow fabric and added it in. Then I tied for another hour or so to complete the wreath. 

I am very happy with the wreath.  I may even do another one when my fingers heal. :)

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Holiday Chair Toppers


 Earlier in the week I finished all six of the witch blocks.  I am quite pleased with these. I still need to add some borders to the witch flying on the broom.  I will add a different border, but in the same fabrics as they will be used together during the Halloween season.  At the moment I am planning on using them as chair backs, much like these Easter chair backs I added to my dining room today.




Sunday, March 3, 2013

Witch Block Borders


Last weekend I made a bunch of blocks just because I was itchin' to be stitchin'.


Saturday morning I decided to design some type of border to put around the six witch blocks above.

I am trying not to buy new fabric, so I raided my stash and found these green and purple pieces that I thought would work.

After a day or so of contemplation I came up with this 3" x 7" block to add to all four sides of the witch:
Here is the completed witch block:

Now I just need to make 20 more of these frame blocks and all six witches will be framed.

Saturday morning I also added a polka dot fabric binding to this little tabletop quilt:
 I am happy to have this one completed!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine Paper Pieced Block

Last weekend I was in the mood to sew. I pulled out a Paper Panache free mystery block from last year (#64).

I chose these fabrics:

A few minutes later, I had the beginning of a heart flower Valentine block:

After about two hours I ended up with this delightful addition to  my  Valentine quilt blocks:
A potted heart flower! I liked it so much I made a second block on Sunday, which is slightly different:
 
DH and I don't do Valentine gifts any more, so this is my gift to myself.  I like it so much better than chocolates!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...