Making Heat Resistant Counter Mats

When I was cleaning my sewing room, I found this length of log cabins that I made to use for a border, but decided it just didn't work, so it was set aside. It's been residing in a bin for a few years now.

I decided to pick out a few seams and ended up with 3 sets of two blocks.  I added a few more strips to make them wider and then turned them into counter protector mats.
These are nice and long. You can see that a 9 x 13-inch cake pan fits nicely.  I love these big counter mats.

I also found two orphan heart blocks that have been waiting for a purpose.  They, too, are now counter mats.
I used an unusual filling for these. I was given a never-used car engine heat resistant mat thing (for a corvette) and I cut it up (GASP! I hope no corvette owner reads this). It worked perfectly--nice and thick and easy to sew through.
I have to say it's the best batting I have used thus far. 

Comments

your mats are adorable and I'd love to have one, I'd love even more to have a corvett!
Cassandra said…
I love the heart blocks! I want to make one now. :)
Heather said…
Great ideas. love the red and blue plaids. A very welcoming country kitchen look.