I pull and pull, push and push, squeeze and squeeze, and I can almost NEVER get these things opened!
Is there some trick? I know the nails make it a bit more difficult, but I can hand quilt with these nails, so I certainly should be able to open a box of needles!
Here is what I always have to resort to:
breaking the plastic with a screwdriver. The needles fly all over the place!
Surely there is a better way. Please, if you know, enlighten me! I am about to stop buying these just because I can't get them opened. I think they need to redesign the case.
3/3/10 5:00 a.m. Update: Thank you all for your help. I had no luck until I read Cathy's comment. THANK YOU, Cathy. Even at 5:00 a.m. it worked on my first try!
Here are Cathy's detailed directions in case anyone else is struggling like I was:
OK, on your new package of needles.
1. Turn it sideways so the "Z" in Schmetz is pointing at your belly button.
2. Lick your thumb and index finger of your right hand(unless you have naturally moist hands, or your left if you are left handed).
3. Put your thumb on the clear plastic just about 1/4" above "Schmetz.
4. Put your index finger on the back and slide it up until you feel the slight ridge at the top. Your finger pad should be about divided in half at the top edge of the white plastic.
5. With your other hand hold only the edges of the clear plastic cover lightly at the base (near the numbers).
6. Pull your index finger towards your palm while pushing your thumb out. Kind of like when you feel the texture of fabric or something between your fingers. This will take some pressure, but not much or you will mash the two pieces together and they won't pop apart.
7. It actually "pops". Once you have popped it open, you can bend the top piece back to get better access to the needles.
I use a sharpie marker to color the flat side of the needle when I pull an old one out of the machine. I put them dull ones back in the holder to keep them from poking about in the trash, just in case I drop something in there I have to go fishing for later.
Good luck! Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll figure out how to take some pics for you!
March 2, 2010 9:15 PM