Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Altered Fabric

It has been so long since I've sewn anything. Once summer gets here, I am so busy with my flowers that the sewing takes a back seat.

I still have not made anything, but I am in the process. A long time ago I read about making a unique piece of fabric by sewing a bunch of scraps in the middle of a long piece of fabric. Like this:

I just picked out pieces of fabric that I thought went with the bold blue/green/yellow fabric that you seen on the right end.  Layer until you have a fairly even thickness - I did about 4 layers of scraps.

Then I folded the end piece over and folded gently a few more times to make a manageable piece to fit under the sewing machine.  I did pin the ends a bit so the tiny scraps would not fall out.
Then I just sewed lines (don't even have to be the same width) down the fabric. Mine were no more than 3/4 of an inch apart.

Then take sharp scissors and cut down the center of each line, but not through the back layer.
It's OK to have pieces sticking out--that is what you want. I then put mine in a big pillow case and threw it in the washer and dryer.
When it was done, I was thrilled to have a piece of fabric that looked like this:

I am hoping to have time to finish this project this weekend so I can show you what I ended up making with  my altered fabric.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...