From 3-inch Block to Handbag

After finishing my jelly roll quilt, I had these blocks left. Since I had already spent the time to make them, I wanted to do something with them.

You wouldn't think you could make much from these, would you?

I sewed them together, stared at them a few moments, then added borders, thinking they would be a set of hot mats.

Somehow along the way my idea changed and I ended up with this!

The handbag matches quite a few of my more colorful jackets. I think it will be fun to use this spring.

Backside:


Last week a zipper broke in one of my big tote bags. Before tossing it in the garbage, I cut out this inside pocket, thinking I could reuse it in one of my own creations. As you can see, I just hacked it out.
After folding it nicely and using a decorative stitch to attach it the lining, I had this nice spot to hold a cell phone, a bottle of sanitizer and make up.
I am just thrilled with how it turned out. It was a great addition with very little effort.

I am now working on a couple of denim handbags. I have re-purposed a leather jacket and a bunch of jeans to create the bags.

Here's a picture of just some of the blocks I've been making (none of the ones with leather are in this pic):

I hope to have a handbag completed soon.

Comments

Heather said…
the bag looks terrific.
Trishq said…
Wow, I love your bags. What a great use for the left over blocks. I especially like the reuse of the old pockets, saves on your time! Thanks for the photos.
Betsy said…
Zoey, great bag! What a creative idea.
Quilter Kathy said…
Oh my goodness...another cool little bag...you will be quite the fashion goddess!