Search This Blog

Sunday, October 18, 2009

It Pays to Be Flexible When Designing Table Runners

If you've been reading this blog for a while, you know that I like to finish my table runners with pointed ends. I thought I would illustrate my thought process as I finished a table runner. I am sure others have different methods. I am not saying my way is the best. It's just what works for me.

I could have left this runner like this:

But I find the harsh jolt when the eye meets the end to be unpleasant.

I want the eye to flow to the end, so I take the time to devise some sort of gradual end to each runner. Just adding an orange triangle like this would have been the easiest.
I find it better than the straight finish, but to me the eye does not flow to the end. I really want that center star to be finished.

So I folded the runner ends into a triangle , then folded that to the back



then back to the right side to see what it would look like if I just continued with the same pattern.
I think it's much better; definately the best option of the three.

I flipped it to the back side to see what foundations I will need to sew. This is one reason I always leave the paper on until I sandwich the runner.

I will need two whole 4-inch blocks and 4 half blocks. Can you see that? The hash marks are where I need to cut to get the triangle shape. I am NOT cutting this piece. I am just finding out the number and how to cut the new foundations I will sew for the triangular end.

I took one of the 4-inch fondation blocks and folded it in half. The fold is the sewing line.


Then I marked a quarter inch seam allowance just outside the folded area.



After cutting along the seam allowance line, this is what the 4 foundations will look like: It's just half the regular foundation with a 1/4-inch seam allowance.

So I went about sewing them. When I finished enough for the first end, I assembled them on the floor to make sure I had it correct before proceeding with the second set.

Imagine my surprise when I started to put the end pieces together and came up with this.

I love it! It's so much better than just finishing off the stars as I thought I was doing. It looks like I spent a long time devising a way to get the stars to turn into this rope-like design. Only I (and now you) know that it was just an error in laying the pieces out.

Don't you love it when an error makes the piece better?

This is how the units were sewn together:

Here it is all finished.




I can't wait to see what it will look like on the table. That will have to wait a while because I am planning a Halloween setting for later today.

Happy sewing,

7 comments:

Anya said...

Very nice finish!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the demo. Though it is lovely, I think it is beyond my capabilities at this point. I see myself getting frustrated making the half blocks. I will have to have straight ends for a while
Mattsmom

Zoey said...

Anya,
Thank you. Nobody was more surprised than me when it turned out that way!

Mattsmom, don't give up hope. It looks more difficult than it really is. I see I forgot one pic to show how the triangle is sewn together. I think I will go add that one right now. Maybe that will make it more clear for you.

Fiesta said...

Zoey it looks great with the triangle end but boy that process looks so hard though it turned out great for you.

Dianne said...

I'm with Fiesta-looks hard to me also, but I'm not a quilter like you! The colors are great!

sparkle jars said...

I like how you finished the ends of this table runner...thank you for taking us through the creative process...it's beautiful!

Quilter Kathy said...

That was really neat how you showed that! Great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...