The Rain was not Kind to my Quilt


I was worried about all the reds bleeding. Well, the reds were fine. It was navy blue that ran. I am just glad it was one of my quick deck quilts and not one of my bed quilts. I think I used some of that fabric in a star quilt that I have not yet quilted. I will be just sick if that runs. Is there anything I can use now to get rid of the color run?

Over the weekend I worked on finishing my 'Which Witch' table runner.
I will do a bit of quilting on the top tomorrow. Halloween will be here before we know it.

I wanted to back it with this pink and black polka dot fabric
so I could use the back side for a totally different table runner. I only had a small piece of the fabric and it was not quite long enough. So I decided to just hem the fabric and use it for a runner. I must say it worked beautifully...I went out to the deck and picked some of my dahlias for a centerpiece.


It made a lovely table and was so easy to make compared to the witch runner. It really makes the whole table. Just imagine the runner not there and all the pizazz is gone.


I ended up using another wild fabric on the back of the witch runner.
Someday it will probably make an interesting table. At the moment I haven't the vaguest idea what dishes I would use with this!

Comments

SewCalGal said…
All your projects are so beautiful. But I am truly sorry to see that the rain caused your blue fabric to run.

Do you pre-wash your fabric? Do you recall the manufacturer of this fabric? I've only had problems when I've bought poor quality fabric and/or not pre-washed. Again, I'm really sorry to hear you had problems. But I'd like to learn from this problem and would like to see if you can share more insights on what you think may be the root cause of this problem (besides rain).

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com
Diana LaMarre said…
Hi SewCalGal (love the name),

I don't believe that this piece was prewashed. I think it's an old piece from my stash and I don't even know where it came from. I had been so faithfully prewashing - as soon as I brought new fabric home, I washed it. Then I started buying more and more, and sometimes not washing it because I kept reading about others who never prewash.

You are so right. I have learned from this mistake. It's back to prewashing for me!

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment.
I don't know how to remove the color when it runs, but I've heard soaking fabrics in salted water prevents it from running. I have no idea what portions to use, but if that's a concern for you, you could try that.
Unknown said…
When you wash your quilts throw a color catcher in with them. You can find them at Walmart in the section with laundry stain removers etc...I'd wash the quilt with the blue fabric that ran and see if it will come out with the color catcher. Good Luck!
Quilter Kathy said…
I have had fabric run that was prewashed very well.
If you wash the whole thing with Synthrapol - available at quilting stores, the dye should come out...at least mine did.
Gorgeous table setting! So sorry your fabric ran! Great that there is a possible cure for that in the Synthrapol!