Search This Blog

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Citrus Punch

I bought some fruit fat quarters quite a few years ago.
I get them out every now and then and wonder what I can do with these small pieces of fabric. I can never think of anything, so I put them back and forget about them for another year.

Well, early this morning I had a sudden urge to create something. I pulled them out and spent a few minutes wondering what I could do. I looked through my paper-piecing patterns to see if I had something that was large enough to showcase the fruits. I finally found a pattern with a larger square in the middle that I thought would work.

As is my custom, I just start cutting and sewing. I never know if I will have enough of any fabric.

Darn! There was only one fat quarter of black fabric and it was not enough. Now what?

I just finished a black table runner and had some of that leftover fabric. Perhaps I could alternate the black border with a solid black and this fabric?


Hmmm...I don't really like it. I want the bold graphic look of pure black, but I can't find any more solid black fabric.

Then I glance over to my pattern dresser and look what is sitting on the floor....

a pure black 3" valance topper that I took down last month, washed and tossed in a pile of other fabric.
It's slightly heavier than the black cotton I was using, but I like it better than the black print. I happily cut off a foot or so, cut it into smaller sections and sew it on.
Hmmmmmmm........I think this will work just fine.

I am liking this.

Now I just need to decide on one more fabric.

I tend to make my decisions by looking around to see what fabrics I have in my sewing room. I have tons more in bins in the basement, but I am usually too lazy to go down there and look. I am more of a grab-what's-in-front-of-me block designer.

I think green is what I need and lucky for me, I have green fabric just a few feet away from my sewing machine. I grab it and sew my heart out for about an hour. Before I know it I have 16 4.5-inch citrus blocks made. That uses up all of the 18 x 22" piece of citrus fabric I had.


I am very pleased with the bold black and green with the citrus fruit blocks. I set them aside and leave for a garage sale.

Later in the morning I sewed the 16 blocks together and ended up with this table runner:

I like it. Most of all I am very, very happy that I have finally found something to make from this piece of fabric!

3 comments:

Dani said...

How lovely! I should learn to sew someday! :)

Dianne said...

Perfect for the summer! I can just see a bowl of oranges or limes in the center of this.

Anya said...

Oh, Zoey, that looks very nice. It even matches the background color of your blog...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...