Search This Blog

Monday, February 2, 2009

Three Strikes.......and I'm Done for the Night!

I got home from work and felt like piecing another block for my table runner. I glanced over at the ugly block (I use that term fondly as I think this runner is going to turn out quite nice). At least I did at that moment.

I made a mental note that I needed a 12-inch pattern. Within minutes I found a pattern that I thought would be fun and quick to piece. Here is the first 6-inch finished block.



I made a total of four blocks in about an hour. I was feeling pretty good about my choice. I sewed them all together to form this circular flying geese block.
I like it! I am eager to see what it looks like next to the ugly block. I am thinking it's going to look pretty good.


As soon as I picked up the ugly block, my enthusiasm plummeted. I immediately realized that I had miscalculated the size of the ugly block---by 3 inches! You would think by now that I would know enough to measure twice and cut once--or at least measure it--I just thought it was 12 inches. I didn't even measure it.


After just a couple of seconds, I decided that it's no big deal. I will just add a border to make it a 12-inch block. (Yes, I hate that purple fabric--it must be a cotton blend to curl up like that. That's why I chose a different purple for the flying geese block).


I took the same purple as the flying geese block and added borders to all sides.


I think it now looks much better than the original block. . .and I am pretty pleased. ..until I place them atop each other to see how they fit... I have miscalculated again and I am 1/4-inch short on all sides.


O.K. no problem. I rip off a three-quarter inch strip to add another border. One inch into the sewing I realize that isn't going to work either. I did not take into consideration that I would be using up 1/4-inch for the seam on the finished block.


So now I am too bummed to do any more. I am also hungry. I guess I will find a little something for dinner and think about this tomorrow. I just hope I have enough of these fabrics to get a finished table runner. I never plan these things out. I just sew and hope for the best.


Do you all do that, too? Or do you plan everything in advance to make sure it will all work out?

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Zoey, you amaze me...I would have been so frustrated. I think it is going to look great if you can get it to all work out. I love the flying geese in the circle.

Being very new to quilting/sewing I plan and plan some more before I work because I am so afraid of messing it up too badly. I admire your willingness to go with the flow and work with what you have.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Zoey, your work is incredible. What a talent.. I just got home from work and saw you came for a visit by the shop. I'm so glad to have you. I hope you swing in again. hugs ~lynne~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...