Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2008

Cardinal Quilt Block

Two weeks ago I spotted this fabric in the new Christmas fabric section.



I immediately had an idea for its use, which had nothing to do with Christmas.

When I got home from work this afternoon, I decided to make one test block with the cardinal fabric. Sometimes I just need to create something new. It will do me good to get my mind off the machine quilting (although it does seem to be going slightly better and I will probably do a bit more on the pink star later tonight.)

What I did with the cardinal fabric was fussy cut a bird and use it as the center for this star:


I will show you what I do with it, when I decide what to do with it! At the moment I am content just to know it does make a nice center.

7 comments:

Needle and Thread said...

The cardinal bird sure does make a nice focus point for your block. You will make a beautiful quilt with these blocks.
Millie

Debbie said...

Beautiful, Zoey. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

The Tile Lady said...

Gorgeous! Where did you find the pattern for the star? I really like it, and would love to make one!
Marie

Zoey said...

Millie, I am thinking of making a pillow, but that could change....and probably will.

Debbie, Thank you. I will post when I finish whatever it becomes.

Marie, the pattern is from Carol Doak's Simply Sensational Nine Patch book. It's paper pieced. I love that book and use it almost every day.

The Tile Lady said...

Thanks, Zoey! I appreciate you letting me know about the book! And thanks for stopping by my tile blog....my operations are somewhat curtailed right now but I am revving up to get more done and more posted as soon as I can. I appreciate your comments! Oh, and I do quilt....check out my archives, as one of my first posts was about quilting. There will be more! :-) Very soon I plan to show the quilt I am finishing for my grandson's birthday. I am a very slow hand-quilter and his is hand-quilted. Oh, and Mom quilts...she's Life in Wakefield on my sidebar. She has several quilt-related posts. Thanks for your help! Love your blog!
Marie

sparkle jars said...

Thank you for the nice comment. You are a very talented quilter and I'm enjoying reading your posts. :-)

sparkle jars said...

Gorgeous fabric! I'm in awe of your piecing and quilting...all masterpieces. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...